Sunday, March 13, 2011

Serenity admist chaos

I have known this prayer since my elementary days:

"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen."

With my Catholic upbringing from the schools I've went from elementary to college, how can I not know this prayer? Memorized even to the point I can blurt it out while sleeping.

But even if I knew this prayer my whole life, I only fully understood the meaning of this a week ago. When I felt my world was falling apart. When I felt I was dying alive. This prayer saved me. It is also what's keeping me alive right now. Each word in the prayer was like an oxygen being pumped up in my struggling lungs.

I'm offering this prayer to God, from now on, in every single waking day of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment